Closing Date: 12 August 2022
Salary: R 1 030 759 – R 1 267 066 per annum
CAPE AGULHAS MUNICIPALITY
Cape Agulhas Municipality ensures the wellbeing of all communities within the Cape Agulhas region through economic growth, social wellbeing, community involvement and effective management within a safe and healthy environment.
Cape Agulhas Municipality with its head office in Bredasdorp and approximately two hour’s drive from Cape Town currently has the following vacancy and awaits applications from competent persons who comply with the minimum job requirements.
The Municipality seeks to appoint a dynamic development specialist as the Municipal Manager, in terms of Section 54A of the Local Government Municipal Systems Act, (Act 32 of 2000). The incumbent reports directly to the Executive Mayor and the position is based on a performance contract. The successful candidate will sign a fixed term contract at a total cost to company, with the Council as well as a performance agreement. This contract can only be for a maximum period of 1 year after the next Local Government election.
The successful incumbent shall be the Head of Administration and also the Accounting Officer. As Municipal Manager you will be responsible for the overall management of the Municipality to ensure that economic growth and development are facilitated; that poverty is alleviated; that efficient and effective services are delivered to all inhabitants of the Cape Agulhas Municipal area; and, that long-term sustainability of the municipality is ensured within the requirements of the relevant legislation in achieving the strategic objectives of Council.
Key Responsibilities: The overall management of the Municipality in order to ensure efficient and effective provision of services, promoting economic growth, facilitation of social and economic development, and long term sustainability of the Municipality; Perform all functions, duties and responsibilities as contained in relevant local government legislations that impacts on local government, and of management of staff towards fulfilling core basic service delivery functions of the municipality; The development and management of an economically effective, accountable administration which is equipped to implement the municipality’s integrated development plan, to operate in accordance with the municipality’s performance management system and to understand the needs of the local community; The management of the provision of services to the local community in a sustainable and equitable manner; The appointment, training, discipline and effective utilisation of staff; The promotion of sound labour relations and compliance with applicable labour legislation; Advising the political structures and political office bearers, managing communications between these parties as well as carrying out their decisions; The administration and implementation of the municipality’s by-laws and other legislation; Exercising of any powers and performing any duties delegated by the municipal council, or by other delegating authorities of the municipality; Facilitating participation by the local community in the affairs of the municipality; Developing and maintaining a system for the assessment of community satisfaction with municipal services; The performance of any other function that may be assigned by the municipal council and as accounting officer; Responsible for all income and expenditure of the municipality, all assets, the discharge of all liabilities of the municipality, as well as the proper and diligent compliance with applicable municipal finance management legislation.
Requirements include: At least a Bachelor Degree in Public Administration / Political Sciences / Social Sciences / Law or equivalent; Certificate in Municipal Finance Management (SAQA qualification ID No 48965) for accounting officers of municipalities as is provided for in Regulation 493 dated 15 June 2007 or successfully complete the prescribed Unit Standards within 18 months from the date of appointment in accordance with Government Notice, No. 91 of 3 February 2017, as promulgated in Government Gazette No.40593; A postgraduate qualification in fields related to public administration will be an added advantage; 5 years’ minimum relevant experience at a senior management level and have a proven institutional transformation record in the public or private sector; The required core competencies as stipulated in Annexures A and B of the Regulations on Appointment and Conditions of Employment of Senior Managers Government Notice 21 in Government Gazette 37245 dated 17 January 2014; Advanced knowledge and understanding of relevant policy and legislation; advanced understanding of institutional governance systems and performance management; advanced understanding of council operations and delegation of powers; good governance; audit and risk management establishment and functionality; budget and finance management; and good knowledge of supply chain management regulations and the Preferential Procurement Policy Framework Act, 2000 (Act No 5 of 2000); The ability to engage strategically with the Executive Mayor, Councillors, communities and residents and an appreciation of the centrality of the IDP for effective service delivery; An aptitude for strategic/operational planning and implementation management, decision-making, leadership, innovation and motivation; Proven track record of good governance, audit and risk management, budget and finance management; Ability to be an innovative and strategic leader; Good facilitation and communication skills in at least two of the three official languages of the Western Cape; Computer skills, a valid driver’s license and own transport.
Remuneration: R 1 030 759 – R 1 267 066 per annum (All inclusive package of a Category 2 Municipality as prescribed in the Upper Limits of Total Remuneration Packages Payable to Municipal Managers and Managers directly accountable to Municipal Managers – Notice 351 published in Government Gazette no 43122 of 20 March 2020).
Enquiries regarding post: Contact Councillor Mr P. Swart, Executive Mayor, at 028 425 5500.
1. The post is a fixed term contract position.
2. It would be expected of candidates to be subjected to thorough evaluations and that previous and current employers and references will be contacted. Verification will be done on his/her qualifications, criminal and credit records. The candidate will be required to disclose all financial interests.
3. All applications must be submitted with a detailed CV, certified copies of qualifications, ID document and driver’s license, the names of two references from current and previous employers (including their e-mail addresses) and a fully completed official application form, as available from the municipal website or the Human Resources Department, to be couriered/hand delivered to The Executive Mayor, 1 Dirkie Uys Street, Bredasdorp, 7280
4. ONLY hard-copy applications will be considered submitted on the prescribed application form for Senior Managers (Government Gazette 37245 dated 17/01/2014 – Annexure C). No electronic or faxed applications will be accepted. Original qualification certificates must be produced at any resultant interviews.
5. Appointment is subject to the signing of an employment contract and performance agreement in terms of Section 57 of the Municipal Systems Act. The appointment will be done in accordance with the Regulations on appointment and conditions of employment of Senior Managers.
6. The municipality respects the conditions of the Protection of Personal Information Act. By submitting your information and application you confirm that the information you have provided to us is true, up to date and correct.
7. Short listed applicants will be informed of the outcome of the selection process on completion thereof.
8. The Council reserves the right not to make an appointment.
9. Applicants that are not contacted within 30 days from date of closing should consider their application to have been unsuccessful and no CV’s will be returned.
10. Canvassing of Council members or any member of the Appointment Committee will immediately disqualify applicants. The Municipality is bound by the principles of affirmative action as set out in its Employment Equity Plan.
CLOSING DATE: 12 AUGUST 2022
Councillor Paul Swart
EXECUTIVE MAYORVacancy advert: Municipal Manager (141.96KB) Vacancy advert: Municipal Manager - short version (428.98KB) Last published 25 July 2022